We all have our vices. Mine? I love lists. From “If you could have dinner with three people…” to David Letterman’s Top 10. Name a list amidst a conversation, and I am in for pontification.
I would have created a blog for that kind of thing, but that’s already been done, so I just visit from time to time.
Anywhoo. Imagine the best Christmas you had, that involved in a television set. What was on? Do you remember? Do you have a video tape… er, DVD (sorry to age myself) that is worn to the nub? Can you recite the words to it… in your sleep? I can, and among those movies can recall that one monumental moment that makes you snarf up the soda you just guzzled and blow snot bubbles.
If your shoulders are shaking for coughing up your laughter in your office, then you will certainly adore this list from another brick on the wall, Idol Chatter (of the Beliefnet nation). So, to summarize, here goes [with a certain HiScrivener panache]:
10. Holiday: The tumble [I had to rent this, but enjoyed this, I must admit.]
9. White Christmas: Piano man [Any time you get that man bellowing that song, it’s venerable and everlasting]
8. Sleepless in Seattle: Dr. Marsha [Just because a movie takes place in December, is it a “Christmas movie”?!]
7. While You Were Sleeping: Mashed Potatoes [Ibid “Sleepless” but for my money, this is the MUCH better moment. A modern-day “Who’s on first”]
6. Elf: He’s Coming [See, just typing that made me crack up out loud]
5. A Christmas Story: The Triple Dog Dare [For my money, this is the best Xmas flick. Ever. #5? Puh-lease!]
4. The Ref: The tie up [Seriously?! You had me until right here]
3. Home Alone: Breaking and entering [I felt so guilty laughing at Daniel Stern and Joe Pesci, but genius stuff]
2. A Christmas Carol: God bless us everyone [An easy sentimental favorite considering the crowd. Timeless.]
1. It’s a Wonderful Life: Zuzu’s Petals [It’s sweet, but this isn’t even my fave moment in this movie. Wings, anyone?]
OK, the “Sleeping” moment is that good, but not really that Christmas. How can you hear the genius of Vince Guaraldi and NOT think of a “Charlie Brown Christmas”. Anyone see the Bruce Willis’ moment in “Die Hard”? Nothing quite says ho-ho-ho like yippie-ki-yay…
But please someone, for the love of Santa Baby Jesus Christmas tell me how in the world the greatness of Clark Griswold is not on this list?! “Is your house on fire, Clark… No, those are the Christmas lights.” Anyone? Ah, “Bend over and I’ll show you” what I think of this list.