When will this 2008 presidential election end again? Summer of 2016? Man, the longer these primaries go on, the more we see the dire need to depoliticize the pulpit (as Wall Watchers did here, there and this place).
If there is any pastor out there who hasn’t learned from the fallible jaunts into the political circle of Jesse Burns…er, Jackson and Pat Robertson, allow HiScrivener to save you the trouble. Don’t! As a matter of fact, if you have a choice to perish painfully in a plane crash and decide to erroneously dub someone the next president of the United States, buckle up. IJS.
First, Obama meets the ‘Wright’ stuff. Then, McCain didn’t like the taste of ‘Parsley’ on his dinner to help it go down. Not too far afterwards, McCain gets some unexpected Texas hospitality. Now, not to be outdone, Obama has this utter fool to deal with…
Meet Father... yeah, that’s what I said too… FATHER (as in Priest) Michael Pfleger. Evidently, he didn’t think his 15 minutes had even started, so he makes some flippant comments about Hillary Clinton at… oh, what’s that place… Trinity United Church of Christ.
So, in reference to the headline and much like the great game of PONG, it was tit for tat… blip (pause) blip (pause) and blip. Rev. Mike throws it down at TUCC and Obama issues this:
“As I have traveled this country, I’ve been impressed not by what divides us, but by all that unites us. That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger’s divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which does not reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause.”
Yes, that’s lovely… completely contrived and staged for the sound bite. You would think he would have a dose more vigor with that message. Rev. Mike notices his 15 minutes are up, skips back in the spotlight for his ‘blip’:
“I regret the words I chose on Sunday. These words are inconsistent with Senator Obama’s life and message, and I am deeply sorry if they offended Senator Clinton or anyone else who saw them.”
A couple of notes from a spin doctor’s POV:
- Notice he doesn’t apologize for offending TUCC. I suppose after that rousing applause, he didn’t sense the need from the Lord.
- “I’m very unpolitical” [guffaw]. If they knew that was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, there’s no way he regrets those words “he chose.” The media was hoodwinked, bamboozled, run-amuck, led astray… (for those adoring Malcolm Little).
- Of course they are inconsistent with Barack Obama’s life. He is sociologically and ideologically caught between repositioning and reparations. So, come on with that jive.
- Hey Rev., heard that saying, “Do it once, shame on me. Twice, shame on you.” He did it about seven times to Hillary. So, if you believe that was sincere, I got first dibs on some real estate.
- And last but not least, his flub on YouTube has received more than 360,000 hits. I think his 15 minutes just got a reprieve.